Pukekura in Maori translates to Blue hill, we have heard other versions but we like this one best. MT Bonar behind Pukekura Township in certain lights gives off that blue appearance.
Pukekura Township was built in a clearing cut out of tall native Rimu forest. It began as a hotel on the stage coach trail south. A saw mill was built in the early 1950’s and the mainstay of the region was timber. The mill closed in the mid eighty’s and tourism became the latest industry with the establishment of the Bushman’s Centre in 1993.
The purchase of the pub, houses, accommodation, helipad and helicopter hanger followed years later giving us the distinction of owning the town. The land around the town is native forest and classed as scenic reserve giving the town its compact and scenic charm. Views of the snow capped peaks of the Southern Alps can be seen to the south east of Pukekura.