Aunty Urqhart outside original Tavern (known as Big Waitaha, Boarding House) late 1878.
Situated by the Waitaha River south side the old horse trail road.
Pukekura Tavern & Boarding house, owned by Alex & Aunty Urqhart in the early 1900's.
Built by the river which replaced the old mossy shack.
Alex (the ferryman) built the boarding house which later became the Post Office & Hotel.
The Highway moved from the river to the bush when cars arrived on the coast (State Highway 6).
Pukekura Hotel & Post Office was moved to this position in Pukekura where it is today.
(In those days licences buildings could only move 1 mile per year.)